The next time you need a midnight snack, here's a cheat sheet. According to a nutritionist, these are some of the best midnight snacks you can eat...
1. Sliced turkey. The protein fills you up, and the tryptophan helps you sleep.
2. Cheese-and-crackers. Cheese has tryptophan too, plus it's easy. Ideally, you should choose a cracker that's high in fiber to keep your blood sugar from spiking.
3. Veggies and hummus. It's a low-calorie option that's also quick and easy.
4. Cherries and pistachios. The fat and protein in pistachios will fill you up. And studies have found cherries can help you sleep because they're packed with melatonin.
5. Bananas and peanut butter. Peanut butter is another food with tryptophan. And the banana has potassium to relax your muscles and help you sleep better.
6. Cereal, but it has to be low-sugar. And eat it with milk, not dry. The calcium in milk helps your body produce more melatonin.
7. Protein bars or snack bars. Opt for ones with nuts. And stay away from chocolate or coffee-flavored bars. The caffeine in those might keep you up.