It’s New Year’s resolution time and many people want to lose weight as one of their goals for 2023. It’s common knowledge among nutritionists that consuming fruits and vegetables leads to better health overall and improvements in reduced risk of chronic disease, improved gut health, increased energy and above all, weight loss.
The folks at EatThis, NotThat! sat down with Trisha Best, RD, a registered dietitian with Balance One Supplements to recommend 5 of the best fruits and vegetables to get rid of excess weight and keep it off.
- Citrus fruit – lemons, limes, grapefruit, and oranges are some of the best fruits to aid weight loss and a study in Nutrients said that grapefruit in particular helped lower weight and decreased BMI (body mass index) as well. Best says “Grapefruit can help with weight loss because it’s relatively low in calories and high in fiber, which can help you feel full and satisfied after eating.”
- Berries – in another study from Nutrients, berries and blueberries in particular are an excellent food for weight loss. Best explains “Blueberries are a low-calorie, high-fiber food that may help with weight loss by helping you feel full and satisfied after eating.” She says they are also a good source of antioxidants and other nutrients.
- Cruciferous vegetables – broccoli, kale, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts are nutrient-dense, high in fiber and low in calories which can aid in weight loss. These vegetables also “contain powerful antioxidants known to lower cytokines and NF-kB, substances that drive the inflammation process” according to Trisha Best.
- Avocado – these are calorie-dense and high in fat content but “The majority of the fat is monounsaturated fat which is considered healthy. Increasing monounsaturated fat intake can help reduce body weight and waist circumference” according to Best.
- Potatoes – even though they are high in carbs, they are a healthy addition to a weight loss plan. They contain nutrients, fiber, and healthy carbs. Another Nutrients study said that the consumption of potatoes led to higher nutrient intake, better diet quality, and improved nutrient adequacy. Best says to make sure the calorie density is not too high to make sure and limit additional ingredients such as butter and sour cream.