Just how important is sleep? We all know that getting enough sleep is important, but there’s more to good health than simply getting seven or eight hours of sleep a night. In fact, according to researchers at Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston, there are five sleep habits that can add years to your life and reduce the risk of dying from diseases including cancer and heart disease. And, as researchers note, it is important that all these habits be adopted. “If people have all these ideal sleep behaviors, they are more likely to live longer,” says study co-author Dr. Frank Qian.
These are the 5 key sleep habits:
- 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night
- Difficulty falling asleep no more than twice a week
- Trouble staying asleep no more than twice a week
- Not using any sleep medication
- Feeling well rested when waking up at least five days a week.