Everyone goes through a rough spot in their relationship at one point, but at the end of the day it's how you and your partner interact on the daily that can make or break your relationship!
That's why a group of psycholgists came together to find the phrases successful couples use the most in their everyday lives. Here's what they found to be nine of the most common phrases:
- “I appreciate your effort.” - It’s important to highlight the good in their actions. Happy couples express gratitude for each other’s efforts. It’s a great way to make everyone feel valued.
- “I like you.” - Loving someone is an intense feeling of affection; liking is about seeing them for who they are and acknowledging the attributes you enjoy about them.
- “Help me better understand this.” - If your partner reacts to a situation in a way that you don’t understand, telling them that you want to know them better is key to resolving conflict and bonding at a deeper level.
- “I’m listening...” - You have to be willing to suspend your desire to be “right” or to get your point across — long enough to hear and empathize with your partner’s perspective.
- “I’m sorry.” - Taking responsibility for our role in conflicts is critical to repairing rifts.
- “I forgive you. Can you forgive me?” - Studies have shown that couples who practice forgiveness are more likely to enjoy longer, more satisfying relationships.
- “I am committed to you.” - Reassuring your partner that you’re still choosing to be with them and to work through challenges will help create a sense of safety and stability.
- “Let’s have some fun!” - The happiest couples are able to break tension and recalibrate the mood by finding room for an authentic smile, silly banter or a lighthearted joke.
- “I love you" - Verbally expressing your romantic love for one another keeps the relationship alive. And when you say it, make sure you truly mean it.