So, today is National Cocoa day and what better way to celebrate than drinking some hot cocoa today! But have we been making hot coca wrong this whole time?
A poll on You Gov America asked people what they mix the hot chocolate powder into, and 41% said dairy milk. 31% said water 8% said non-dairy milk (like almond, soy, rice, oat, and coconut "milk"), and 2% said "other," which is intriguing. 15% of the people surveyed claim they don't make hot chocolate.
If you're an over-achiever, here are some various hot chocolate "hacks" to try:
1. Add two ounces of espresso, plus a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon.
2. Using an oven-safe mug, top it with marshmallows, and put it under the broiler.
3. Take the hot chocolate mix, and add: A half-cup of pumpkin puree, one teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a quarter-cup of white chocolate chips.
4. Stir your hot chocolate recipe with equal parts warmed eggnog.
5. Drop a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream in a small bowl, then pour hot chocolate over it, along with a whipped cream topping.
6. Make it SPICY with a half-teaspoon of ancho chile powder. If you do this, consider also adding cinnamon, dark brown sugar, and vanilla extract.