Many of us plan to enjoy the holiday with a barbecue. This year we're not going to The Falls, so to heal my broken heart, we're cooking all our favorite foods- and that means STEAK!
A new survey commissioned by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, a contractor to the Beef Checkoff, and conducted by OnePoll finds;
- 30% of Americans are planning a barbecue for the Fourth of July.
- In fact, of the 49% of people who plan a traditional cookout each summer, 63% of plan to have it on July 4th.
- As for what they’ll be serving at that bbq, meat is the top choice to grill (37%), with the top meat choices including:
- T-bone cut (16%)
- Porterhouse (11%)
- Ribeye (10%)
- Filet mignon (10%)
And it isn’t just the type of meet people are particular about. Other components to the perfect steak include:
- Cooked well-done (21%), medium-well (20%) or medium (16%)
- Topped with salt and pepper (43%)
- Cooked on a grill (57%)
- Wet marinade when grilling (44%)
- Paired with a baked potato (46%)
All that info is well and good but I'm appalled the words "medium rare" didn't appear in this entire survey. Here's how I make my version of the perfect steak...
*Get the biggest bone-in ribeye I can find.
*Season with a splash of Worcestershire sauce, Montreal steak seasoning, salt and pepper.
*Cut a few slits in the top of the steak, pack them with butter.
*Put on grill, butter side up. Depending on thickness, cook between 10 and 17 minutes. Let rest.
*Devour your perfectly cooked steak.
Photo: Getty Images