Driving the news:More than a dozen athletes with ties to the state are set to compete in events ranging from shot put to rifle shooting.
- Ski-U-Mah! The lineup includes 11 current or former Gophers.
What to watch: It turns out we're a gymnastics powerhouse. Minnesota natives Sunisa Lee, Grace McCallum and Shane Wiskus are all competing in the fan-favorite event.
Here are a few more local athletes:
- Regan Smith of Lakeville will compete in the 100-meter backstroke and the 200-meter butterfly, while GopherBowe Becker is on the men's relay team.
- Edina grad Jordan Thompson is a star front-row attacker on our top-ranked women's volleyball team.
- Gable Steveson, the Gophers' undefeated heavyweight, is vying to become one of the USA wrestling's youngest gold medalists.
- BMX racer Alise Willoughby of St. Cloud is on her third trip to the games. She won silver in 2016.
- Two Hopkins alums— Team USA's Joe Klecker and Liberia's Joseph Fahnbulleh — will compete in the track and field events.
How to watch: The Games air on NBC, channel 11 here in the Twin Cities, and its streaming service, Peacock.